Sunday, July 21, 2013

Living with GERD/GORD- Foods you can and can't consume on an Acid Reflux Diet


I was first diagnosed with GORD/GERD (Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease) following the birth of my youngest son in late 2011. I was commenced on Nexium and took it until I felt I no longer needed to take it (after commencing Chiro in April 2012). I felt much more improved with regular Chiro and didn't need it. During the year 2012 I took prescription medication for it on and off at different times for short bursts. Then I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovaries in Oct 2012 and embarked on a health kick (resulting in a low carb diet and 25kgs of weight loss), which removed the need to take anything at all (wonderful right).

Once I got to my goal weight of 60kg I relaxed my eating ways as I found that I was still losing weight; and started enjoying eating food again. I starting drinking more again (during my health kick I almost gave it up completely), and eating a diet that was higher in carbs and fat. As a result my symptoms of GORD/GERD came back with vengeance in the last month, and following an Endoscopy yesterday I was found to have Oesphageal Ulcers (yay go me! I don't do anything by halves in this life) caused by my chronic acid reflux (and bad eating/drinking which exacerbated my chronic condition).

Good news is that my stomach and oesphageal lining looks fine, and there doesn't seem to be any longterm damage; so I've had my medication (Somac 40mg) doubled for 2 months and been put on a wonderfully restrictive diet for the forceable future.

So what does this mean for now...... well I've now developed a list of "can't's" and "can's". Its not pretty, and to be honest with you I'm absolutely devastated. I'm trying to stay positive, but its just not happening yet.

Foods I can't eat :(

Fruit- orange juice, apple cider, peach, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, cranberries (dried), lemon, lemonade, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, tomato
Vegetables- Onions, french fries, garlic, leeks, sauerkraut, scallions,
Meat- Ground beef, chuck, marbled sirloin, chicken nuggets, buffalo wings, ground beef (lean), chicken salad, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, fried fish, tuna salad, hot dog, ham
Dairy- sour cream, milk shake, ice cream, cottage cheese (regular), yoghurt, low fat milk, frozen yoghurt, low fat cottage cheese, chedder cheese, mozzarella cheese
Grains- Macaroni and cheese, spaghetti with sauce, garlic bread, muffin, granola cereal
Beverages- Liquor, Wine, Coffee (decaf or regular), Tea (decaf or regular), non alcoholic wine, beer, cola, root beer, soft drink or carbonated drinks
Fats/ Oils- Salad dressing (creamy), salad dressing (oil and vinegar), ketchup
Sweets and desserts- Butter cookie, cookie (low fat), brownie, donut, chocolate, corn chips, potato chips (regular)

its a pretty long list hey........ for the print friendly list "click here" for more depressing food groups now eliminated from my diet.

Foods I can eat :)

Fruit- apple (fresh or dried), apple juice, banana,
Vegetables- baked potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, green breams, peas
Meat- Ground Beef- extra lean, steak, chicken breast (no skin), egg whites, egg substitute, fish (no fat added)
Dairy- cheese (feta or goat), cream cheese (fat free), sour cream (fat free), soy cheese (low fat)
Grains- Breads (multigrain or white), cereal (bran or oatmeal), corn bread, graham crackers, pretzels, rice (brown or white), rice cakes
Beverages- Mineral water
Fats / Oils- Salad dressings (low fat)
Sweets/ Desserts- Jelly beans, red licorice, potato chips baked

For the print friendly list "click here" for more depressing food groups now eliminated from my diet.

I've read through the can list a million times and cannot feel excited about much of it at all (apart from the Jelly beans and licorice)

Yet again its days like this I'm glad my blog is called Random Drawers. I've now added the label "GERD/GORD" to keep things organised. 

So far I'm trying to research and create Acid Reflux friendly recipes (there's not a lot out there), and will focus on these creations in the coming days and weeks..... stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I have been struggling with GERD and esophagitis for 1 year. I am taking generic Omeprazole 20mg twice daily and still having esophagitis symptoms - in looking for alternatives to traditional medical based treatment of GERD and this low carb diet sounds like the answer! Any pointers on starting out?

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs